The post MadeinTYO Teams with Toro y Moi for New Single “Money Up”: Stream appeared first on Consequence of Sound.
Los Angeles-via-Atlanta rapper Malcolm Jamaal Davis, better known by his moniker MadeinTYO, has been not-so-subtly climbing the ranks as one of hip-hop’s most exciting rising artists. While his breakout 2016 mixtape You Are Forgiven captured the attention of rap giants like Travis Scott, it was his debut studio album, 2018’s Sincerely, Tokyo, that proved he was worth keeping an eye on in the long run. Now, MadeinTYO is returning to the spotlight with “Money Up”, his new single featuring Toro y Moi.
In just under three minutes, MadeinTYO makes a big splash over a weird, warped beat produced by Toro y Moi. Instead of showing off his speed or narrative abilities, MadeinTYO makes an impression here by rapping about financial security, body positivity, and knowing your worth — topics that he flexes with undeniable confidence and flair. The whole thing is enhanced by the Soul Trash artist’s backing music, which filters a mellow hook through dreamy compression and softened trap percussion. Take a listen via its accompanying music video.
It’s been two years now since MadeinTYO dropped Sincerely, Tokyo. Since then, he’s collaborated with everyone from Chance the Rapper to ASAP Ferg and Nicki Minaj. Not to drum up hype, but that sure makes it seem like he’s due to announce a new record soon. Keep your eyes peeled here for what’s hopefully an update about that in the future.
- Dave Chappelle Unloads on Critics Upon Winning Emmy for Best Variety Special
- Ranking: Every Martin Scorsese Film from Worst to Best
- Filter's Richard Patrick on Quitting Nine Inch Nails: Trent Reznor Told Me to Deliver Pizza
- Dolly Parton Finally Puts Longtime Tattoo Rumors to Rest
- Rolling Stone Updated Its Top 500 Albums of All Time List So It's No Longer Just White Dudes