Mac DeMarco marked Christmas with a no-frills rendition of the holiday staple, “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town.”
On YouTube, DeMarco said he recorded the song Wednesday, December 25th, at his own Jizz Jazz studios. The cover moves with a delightful, stripped-down swing as DeMarco croons the tune over a mix of soft drums, electric keys and a particularly tasteful acoustic guitar solo. In vintage DeMarco fashion, the musician paired the cover with a video on YouTube that features a single slow zoom on a Christmas tree ornament of Star Wars‘ Emperor Palpatine because, sure, why not.
More from Rolling Stone
- Lizard People Search for Love in Iggy Pop's 'Sonali' Video
- Jenny Lewis Courts Some Zentai Suit Suitors in 'Rabbit Hole' Video
- Meet Phum Viphurit, Thailand's First Indie-Pop Star
DeMarco spent most of 2019 touring in support of his most recent album, Here Comes the Cowboy, which he released in May. At the time, the album marked his first since 2017’s This Old Dog. More recently, DeMarco made a cameo in Jenny Lewis’ “Rabbit Hole” video, while he also directed a truly bizarre video for Iggy Pop’s “Sonali,” which involved lizard people on a quest for love.
Best of Rolling Stone
- Hank Williams' Five Most Haunting Performances
- 'A Charlie Brown Christmas': The Making of a Classic Soundtrack
- 89 New Christmas Albums of 2019, Reviewed
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.