“Little Women is the book of my life — reading and re-reading this book made my the woman I am today,” Gerwig said. “This is extraordinary. I am very honored. I didn’t attend USC, but I truly love this library.”
More from Deadline
- USC Scripter Awards: 'The Irishman', 'Fleabag' Among Nominees
- UK Stars Compile "Alternative BAFTA List" In Time's Up Campaign: Cynthia Erivo, Jodie Turner-Smith, Greta Gerwig Among Top Picks
- 'SNL's Melissa Villaseñor Calls Out Greta Gerwig's Oscar Snub "Because Of White Male Rage"
The win makes Gerwig the frontrunner for the Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award, which would be her first Oscar. The Scripters — which honor the year’s best film and TV adaptations and the works on which they’re based — have been one of the most reliable bellwethers of Oscar gold over the past decade. Winners have won eight consecutive Academy Awards until the streak was broken last year, when Leave No Trace won the Scripter without being nominated for an Oscar.
Susan Orlean, longtime staff writer at the New Yorker and bestselling author of The Library Book and The Orchard Thief, was given the Scripters’ Literary Achievement Award. Real estate developer Glenn Sonnenberg, one of the Scripters’ three co-founders back in 1988, was honored with the Ex Libris Award. Actress Marjorie Lord Volk and Charles Ritcheson, former dean of the University Libraries, were the other co-founders, and their goal was to bring together the worlds of publishing, filmmaking and academe to celebrate the written word.
Catherine Quinlan, dean of the USC Libraries, served as master of ceremonies, and Howard A. Rodman, former president of the WGA West, chaired the selection committee. The gala awards dinner was held at USC’s majestic Edward L. Doheny Jr. Memorial Library.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers