The sprawling tale of Lila and Lenù continues through the fraught years of adolescence in the new trailer for Season Two of My Brilliant Friend, based on the second book in Elena Ferrante’s Neapolitan novels, The Story of a New Name. The show will return March 16th on HBO.
The second season finds Gaia Girace and Margherita Mazzucco reprising their roles as the teenaged Lila and Lenù, respectively. The story picks up with Lila bucking against her new husband, the abusive and overbearing Stefano (Giovanni Amura), while Lenù continues her studies and grows increasingly bent on leaving their insular Naples neighborhood.
More from Rolling Stone
- 'My Brilliant Friend' Review: Ferrante Adaptation Packs an Emotional Wallop
- Best TV to See to in Nov.: 'My Brilliant Friend,' 'Dirty John'
- Trailers of the Week: 'Fantasy Island,' 'F9,' 'The Plot Against America,' and More
The new clip teases both the struggles Lila and Lenù face, as well as the way their friendship evolves and is tested, especially during a particularly momentous and trying summer vacation on the island of Ischia.
Most of Season Two of My Brilliant Friend was directed by showrunner Saverio Costanzo, although Alice Rohrwacher was also brought on to direct two of the eight episodes.
Best of Rolling Stone
- Golden Globes 2020: 20 Best, Worst and Most WTF Moments
- Springfield of Dreams: 150 Best 'Simpsons' Episodes
- 50 Best TV Shows of the 2010s
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.