ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said he believed Alabama should be in the College Football Playoff at No. 4 over Ohio State. He didn’t, however, expect it to happen.
Alabama got the final spot in the playoff over Herbstreit’s alma mater Sunday afternoon, joining Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia in the four-team tournament. Herbstreit was so surprised it happened that he got up out of his chair and walked away.
Alabama (11-1) made it into the playoff despite not winning the SEC West. Ohio State (11-2) won the Big Ten championship game on Saturday night. But the committee – as it did last year – viewed a non-champion with one loss as a stronger one than a conference champion with two losses.
More college football on Yahoo Sports
– – – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Alabama in, Ohio State snubbed in college playoffs
• Detroit’s Silverdome demolition doesn’t go as planned
• Urban Meyer laughs off Nick Saban bringing up Iowa loss
• Archie Manning: Eli could retire after this year
• UFC fighter keeps promise to fan with Down syndrome