Kelly Clarkson celebrated Halloween on her daytime show by going full Hocus Pocus, emulating Bette Midler’s look in the beloved 1993 witch movie and delivering a riveting rendition of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ classic “I Put a Spell on You.”
Every episode of the Kelly Clarkson Show finds the former American Idol winner putting her spin on another singer’s work; the show dubs it “Kellyoke.” To mark October 31st, Clarkson elevated Kellyoke to another level by reenacting a Hocus Pocus scene where Midler transfixes a ballroom full of Halloween revelers with her version of the oft-covered Hawkins song.
More from Rolling Stone
- Kelly Clarkson and Ben Platt Cover Bob Dylan's 'Make You Feel My Love'
- Watch Kelly Clarkson's Energetic Cover of Lizzo's 'Juice'
- 5 Creepy Podcasts to Binge This Halloween
While Midler’s Hocus Pocus version was a poppier, girl group-inspired take, Clarkson’s rendition returns “I Put a Spell on You” to its bluesy, haunting roots as zombie bellhops and two singing witches — portraying the roles filled in the film by Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy — danced around her.
See Midler’s version in the original Hocus Pocus scene below:
Best of Rolling Stone
- 13 Gutsiest Loretta Lynn Lyrics
- How 'Led Zeppelin II' Was Born
- 35 Greatest Horror Soundtracks: Modern Masters, Gatekeepers Choose
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.