Katy Perry has taken extreme measures to make sure her halftime performance at Sunday’s Super Bowl XLIX leaves viewers talking about the music, the pop star revealed during a press conference Thursday.
She’s previously announced that Lenny Kravitz would be joining her for her set, and that one of her favorite designers, Jeremy Scott, would be creating all of the costumes. But she offered many other interesting tidbits during her candid chat with media.
Here are five new Katy Perry Super Bowl halftime reveals:
1. There Will Probably Be Some Pre-Recorded Vocals – When asked if her set would include any lip-synching or pre-recorded vocals, Katy did a pretty good job of keeping her answer vague…but honest. “I think a lot of the performance is going to be live,” she replied.
2. Lenny Kravitz Isn’t Her Only Special Guest – Though Katy would not reveal the name of her additional guest performer, AP is reporting that Missy Elliott will be making an appearance. “I have to keep some surprises,” Katy teased. “This guest, though, I thought long and hard about it. I wanted to bring someone back, a throwback of sorts.” Katy said this act would help create a real “female fun night, a bit of old-school.” She continued: “When you hear the first ring of the chord, jaws will drop and faces will melt.” Elliott was featured on Katy’s song “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)”
3. She’s Done Her Super Bowl Homework – In prepping for her show, Katy watched countless videos of past performances — namely Beyoncé, Madonna, Diana Ross, and Michael Jackson. During an NFL interview following press conference, she said that she called Bruno Mars, her friend and last year’s Super Bowl halftime act, for advice. She said she asked him, “How many days before Sunday do I get the spray tan?” Unfortunately, he didn’t have the answer.
4. Her Ensemble Will Include Animals –As she proved in her jungle-themed video for “Roar,” Katy is a fan of wildlife, so expect her to get animalistic during her set. “I’m the only person in Super Bowl history to bring a lion and sharks to the show,” she boasted. “It’s going to be wild out here.”
5. Don’t Expect a Prepackaged Version of the Prismatic World Tour – After doing 108 consecutive dates to promote her PRISM album, Katy decided to treat Super Bowl fans to a new stage show. “I made a whole different show for this halftime show,” she said. “We spent many months [creating] it.”
Katy also shared other interesting insights about her Super Bowl team pick and post-Bowl diet…
Sorry, New England Patriots, but Katy is rooting for the Seattle Seahawks. Although she admitted she does not consider herself a football expert, she revealed that she has a bias — she’s buddies with the Seahawks’ quarterback. “I was texting with my good friend Russell Wilson,” she said. “He’s been able to visit me and see my show. I was texting him, ‘How do you prep for the Super Bowl?’… I love the Seahawks because of Russell. I think I’m probably going to go for them.”
And she was excited to share that her pre-Bowl ban of Thin Mints Girl Scouts cookies ends as soon as she finishes her show. Katy has restricted the 160-calories-per-serving indulgence from her diet in order to be in the best shape for the big event, but she joked that she’s ordered 100 boxes of the chocolate-covered cookies for her Super Bowl afterparty. She plans to wash the cookies down with 100 boxes of Papa John’s pizza. Sounds delicious.