TVLine has learned that Netflix has placed a 10-episode, straight-to-series order for Country Comfort, a new multi-cam sitcom starring McPhee as a modern-day, country-tinged version of Fran Drescher’s iconic au pair. Despite the familiar premise, and the fact that Country Comfort hails from longtime Nanny EP Caryn Lucas, the project is not a reboot of CBS’ classic Fran Drescher comedy.
More from TVLine
- Locke & Key Review: Is the Fox-Turned-Movie-Turned-Hulu-Turned-Netflix Adaptation Worth the 10-Year Wait?
- Ragnarok Season Finale Recap: Gods Don't Need Smartphones
- BoJack Horseman Series Finale Recap: The Wisdom and Catharsis of 'The Hokey Pokey' -- Plus, Grade It!
The series finds Smash and Scorpion vet McPhee playing Bailey, a down-on-her-luck country singer who takes a job as a nanny for a rugged cowboy (played by Take Two‘s Eddie Cibrian) and his five children. “With a never-give up attitude and loads of Southern charm, this newbie-nanny is able to navigate the family dynamics and be the mother figure they’ve been missing,” per the official logline. “To her surprise, Bailey also gets the band she’s been missing in this musically talented family who help get her back on the road to stardom.”
The ensemble also includes Ricardo Hurtado (School of Rock) as well as relative newcomers Jamie Martin Mann, Pyper Braun, Shiloh Verrico and Griffin McIntyre.
The Country Comfort pickup comes just three weeks after it was announced that Drescher is shepherding a Broadway musical version of The Nanny with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend duo Rachel Bloom and Adam Schlesinger.
Best of TVLine
- Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles — on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends and Other Shows
- TV Stars Almost Cast in Other Roles
- Fall TV Preview: Who's In? Who's Out? Your Guide to Every Casting Move!