Newlyweds Dr. Kerry Anne Perkins and Michael Gordon’s first marriage activity was to show their support for a meaningful cause. And they had a whole crowd who cheered them on. Yesterday, the couple decided to join in on a Black Lives Matter protest that passed by on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Center City, Philadelphia.
On Saturday, Perkins and Gordon were celebrating their first day together as husband and wife. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, while the couple exited Logan Hall, the couple ran into a group of protesters who were marching from the city’s Art Museum to City Hall. The publication learned that the duo left Logan Hall to actively join the protest. They found their way into the crowd and with all eyes on the bride and groom, the newlyweds kissed, as the crowd cheered around them.
More from SheKnows
- BabyNames Breaks the Internet By Posting Names of Black Americans Killed By Police
- Janet Jackson's New Video About Police Violence Will Stir You
- Pregnant Mother Explains Why Black Lives Matter Protests Are Worth Any Risks
One witness Tweeted: “The power of love on so many levels #BlackLivesMatter #phillyprotest.”
— Rachel E. Lopez (@Rachel_E_Lopez) June 6, 2020
According to E! News, amid the Coronavirus pandemic, the couple’s initial wedding plans fell through and got postponed. Initially, they were supposed to hold their ceremony at the Legacy Castle in New Jersey. Instead, they decided to opt for a ‘micro wedding’ on the lawn of the Logan Hotel. They posed for their first marriage photos in front of the hotel and decided to join in on the protest as the group marched down the street.
Saturday marked the eighth day of city-wide protest in Philadelphia, joining countless major cities and towns around the world who are fighting for social justice in the aftermath of George Floyd‘s death.
Best of SheKnows
- 21 Must-Read Dystopian Books That Eerily Predicted Our Current Times
- A Complete Timeline of Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green's Relationship
- 24 Most Romantic Movie Kisses You'll Wish Would Happen to You IRL