Jussie Smollett Says ‘Doubters Would Have Supported Me’ If He Said His Attacker Was Muslim or Mexican (Video)

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Jussie Smollett has been removed from the final two episodes of “Empire” Season 5, following his arrest on the charges of filing a false police report, the Fox hip-hop drama’s executive producers announced in a statement Friday.“The events of the past few weeks have been incredibly emotional for all of us,” read the statement from “Empire” co-creators Lee Daniels and Danny Strong, showrunner Brett Mahoney, and executive producers Brian Grazer, Sanaa Hamri, Francie Calfo and Dennis Hammer.“Jussie has been an important member of our ‘Empire’ family for the past five years and we care about him deeply,” the statement continued. “While these allegations are very disturbing, we are placing our trust in the legal system as the process plays out. We are also aware of the effects of this process on the cast and crew members who work on our show and to avoid further disruption on set, we have decided to remove the role of ‘Jamal’ from the final two episodes of the season.”Also Read: Jussie Smollett 'Feels Betrayed,' Legal System 'Wants to Skip Due Process,' Actor's Reps SayRepresentatives for Smollett did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment on the actor being dropped from the remainder of “Empire’s” fifth season.Smollett — who plays the openly gay Jamal Lyon on the series — surrendered himself to Chicago PD early Thursday morning, hours after he was formally charged with filing a false police report. He was released from police custody later that afternoon, after posting bail and surrendering his passport following a bond hearing in front of State of Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County Judge John Fitzgerald Lyke Jr.The actor’s bail was set at $100,000, with Smollett required to post $10,000 (10 percent) for release.Within hours of his release, Smollett returned to work on the set of Fox’s “Empire.” His next court date has been set for Thursday, March 14 at 11:30 a.m.Also Read: Jussie Smollett Returns to 'Empire' Set After Posting Bail in False Police Report CaseSmollett’s team released this statement Thursday night: “Today we witnessed an organized law enforcement spectacle that has no place in the American legal system,” read a statement put out on the actor’s behalf following his release from custody Thursday afternoon. “The presumption of innocence, a bedrock in the search for justice, was trampled upon at the expense of Mr. Smollett and notably, on the eve of a Mayoral election. Mr. Smollett is a young man of impeccable character and integrity who fiercely and solemnly maintains his innocence and feels betrayed by a system that apparently wants to skip due process and proceed directly to sentencing.”As TheWrap previously reported, Smollett’s role had already been cut down on the remaining episodes of “Empire” Season 5. An individual close to Smollett told TheWrap on Thursday that, at that time, the actor still planned to be on set throughout the week, but cautioned that plans could change quickly amid his ongoing legal issues.The criminal case against Smollett stems from a report he filed on Jan. 29 that he was attacked by two men who shouted racial and homophobic slurs and referenced “MAGA.” After releasing two former suspects over the weekend, police said they wanted to interview Smollett again — and days later declared him a suspect.Also Read: Jussie Smollett Bail Set at $100,000, Must Surrender PassportDuring a press conference Thursday morning, Chicago PD Superintendent Eddie Johnson said that Smollett staged the attack because he was “dissatisfied with his salary.” Johnson also said Smollett sent the letter threatening himself to Fox, the “Empire” studio. When Johnson first made those statements, he did not mention its source or his proof.Minutes later, during the media conference’s Q&A portion, the police superintendent responded “yes” to a reporter who asked if that information came from brothers Olabinjo (“Ola”) and Abimbola (“Abel”) Osundairo, who were initially persons of interest and turned out to have both worked on “Empire.”Johnson also said the following of Smollett’s photographed wounds: “So, of course, it was staged. The brothers had on gloves during the staged attack where they punched him a little bit. But as far as we can tell, the scratches and bruising that you saw on his face were most likely self-inflicted.”In a later press conference, Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Risa Lanier detailed the prior relationship between Smollett and Abel Osundairo, saying that he was a source of “designer drugs” for Smollett and that they had been friends since late 2017. Lanier also detailed the timeline of events, including when and how Smollett convinced Abel, and later his brother, Ola, to stage an attack on him.Twentieth Century Fox said Thursday morning it was “considering our options” on Smollett. “We understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process. We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”A day earlier, the studio had renewed its support of Smollett, saying, “Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show.”Since Smollett’s first police report on Jan. 29, the investigation took many turns, with varying degrees of cooperation from Smollett.The brothers were released without charges last Friday after the police said “new evidence” had emerged and that the investigation’s “trajectory” had changed course. Earlier this week, CNN reported that Chicago police believed that Smollett might have paid the brothers to stage the attack.A week before Smollett reported the attack, Fox received a letter threatening Smollett. On Tuesday, ABC News reported that the FBI and U.S. Postal Service were looking into the possibility that Smollett had sent the threatening letter to himself, or played a role in its creation and delivery.Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx recused herself from the investigation Tuesday to avoid “potential questions of impartiality,” a rep for Foxx said. First Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Magats has been set to act as prosecutor in her place.Read original story Fox Removes Jussie Smollett From Final 2 Episodes of ‘Empire’ Season 5 Following Arrest At TheWrap
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

“Empire” star Jussie Smollett has given an emotional account of the night he says he was the victim of a racially motivated attack in Chicago, and said the doubters would probably have not questioned him if his attackers had been Muslim, Mexican or black.

“I have to acknowledge the lies, and the hate,” he told “Good Morning America” in an interview with host Robin Roberts that aired on Thursday. “And it feels like if I had said it was a Muslim, or a Mexican, or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me much more. A lot more. And that says a lot about the place that we are in our country right now.”

Smollett said the attack took place on Jan. 29 at 2 a.m., after the actor says that two men jumped him, yelling racial epithets while placing a rope around his neck. A police statement said unspecified chemicals were poured on the star’s face, and a rope placed around his neck.

Also Read: Jussie Smollett Says He Gave Police Redacted Phone Records to 'Protect the Privacy of Personal Contacts'

Chicago police have not made any arrests in the case and have issued statements seeking access to Smollett’s cellphone since he said he was on a call with his manager, Brandon Z. Moore, during the attack.

Smollett turned over redacted phone records, but a Chicago police spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement, “We are very appreciative of the victim’s cooperation however the records provided do not meet the burden for a criminal investigation.”

Also Read: Jussie Smollett Tells Robin Roberts He's 'Pissed Off': 'How Do You Not Believe That?' (Video)

Smollett addressed why he was initially reluctant to hand over the records, saying he did not want his private information in the hands of the police.

“They wanted me to give my phone to the tech for three to four hours. I’m sorry but — I’m not gonna do that,” he said. “Because I have private pictures and videos and numbers: my partner’s number, my family’s number, my castmate’s number, my friends’ numbers, my private emails, my private songs, my private voice memos.”

Read original story Jussie Smollett Says ‘Doubters Would Have Supported Me’ If He Said His Attacker Was Muslim or Mexican (Video) At TheWrap