The story follows Evan Hansen, a high schooler with social anxiety. He unintentionally gets caught up in a lie after the family of a classmate who died by suicide mistakes one of Hansen’s letters for their son’s suicide note. Moore will play the protagonist’s mother.
Steven Levenson, who wrote the book for the stage musical, penned the script, and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul wrote the music and original lyrics for the musical and film. Stephen Chbosky will direct, and Marc Platt and Adam Siegel will produce for their Universal-based Marc Platt Productions.
Universal’s SVP Production Sara Scott and director of development Lexi Barta will oversee production on behalf of the studio.
Moore most recently was seen in the Sony Pictures Classics dramedy After the Wedding and next can be seen as Gloria Steinem in Amazon’s The Glorias. She also appears opposite Amy Adams in the Netflix pic Woman in the Window and has the Apple+ TV series Lisey’s Story.
She is repped by WME, Management 360 and Edelstein, Laird & Sobel.
More from Deadline
- Amy Adams Joins Universal's 'Dear Evan Hansen' Adaptation
- 'Mayans' Danny Pino Joins 'Dear Evan Hansen' Movie At Universal
- This Week In Music: There's Still A Business Even In The Pandemic - Just Ask Leonard Cohen
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: Total Cases Hit 6 Million Milestone
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto