Showtime is in negotiations for The Auteur, a limited series from Jojo Rabbit writer-director Taika Waititi, Peter Warren and Jude Law, who is set to star, sources close to the project tell Deadline. We hear the project hails from Endeavor Content and Legendary Television.
Written by Waititi, the series is believed to be a Hollywood satire, based on the Oni Press graphic novel series by Rick Spears and James Callahan, with Law playing the title character. Waititi is expected to direct. Eric Gitter of Closed on Mondays and Dan Halsted executive produce.
More from Deadline
- Taika Waititi Dedicates 'Jojo Rabbit' Win To 'Indigenous Kids' As Film Takes Best Adapted Screenplay At Oscars
- "There Will Be More 'Ray Donovan'," Star Liev Schreiber Says Following Backlash Over Cancellation
- 'The President Is Missing': Paul Adelstein, Medina Senghore & Gina Gallego Join Showtime Drama Pilot
Reps for Showtime declined comment.
Law can currently be seen in the second season of HBO series The New Pope. On the film side, he was recently seen opposite Blake Lively in Paramount’s The Rhythm Section, and he also starred in The Nest, which premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. He is next set to begin shooting the third installment in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.
Waititi won the Adapted Screenplay Oscar on Sunday for Jojo Rabbit. He just wrapped production on Searchlight Pictures’ dramedy Next Goal Wins, starring Michael Fassbender, and is set to begin production on Thor: Love and Thunder, with Chris Hemsworth, later this year.
Warren and Waititi are repped by manage-ment.
Variety was first to report on the project.
Best of Deadline
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon