Why exactly Hill is passing is currently unknown, and insiders tell Variety that when the news was initially reported, it was very early in the negotiations and that a deal was far from closing.
More from Variety
- Zoe Kravitz to Play Catwoman in 'The Batman'
- Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig on How New York Is in the DNA of His Songs
- 'The Batman': Jonah Hill Eyed for Secret Role Opposite Robert Pattinson
The news comes after Zoe Kravitz was recently tapped to play Selina Kyle, a.k.a. Catwoman, in the Matt Reeves-directed pic that also stars Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader.
One of the points brought up in negotiations was whether Hill would play the Penguin or Riddler, and now Reeves and Warner Bros. will have to go back to the drawing board to see which actors will take on those roles.
Hill starred opposite Emma Stone in Netflix’s sci-fi series “Maniac,” and made his directorial debut last fall with “Mid90s,” which he also wrote. He most recently appeared alongside Matthew McConaughey in “Beach Bum,” which hit theaters in March.
Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics movie is expected to start this summer. An official start date has not yet been set, although insiders tell Variety that filming could start in late 2019 or early 2020. “The Batman” is scheduled to hit theaters June 25, 2021.
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- 'Game of Thrones' Filming Locations in Northern Ireland to Open as Tourist Attractions