“I don’t have time for nonsense. We press on and strong. Stay blessed people,” he wrote in a Twitter thread explaining his decision.
The Star Wars star, who was Jo Malone’s first male global ambassador, exited the campaign after the brand reshot a video he made for a marketing campaign and removed him from the clip.
The original ad, called “The London Gent” aired last year and saw Boyega walking around his childhood neighborhood. It also nods to his Nigerian background. The video has since won the Fragrance Foundation Virtual Award’s Best Media Campaign prize.
“Their decision to replace my campaign in China by using my concepts and substituting a local brand ambassador for me, without either my consent or prior notice, was wrong,” Boyega’s thread continued. “The film celebrated my personal story – showcasing my hometown, including my friend and featuring my family.”
Over the weekend Jo Malone issued an apology to the actor.
“John is a tremendous artist with great personal vision and direction. The concept for the film was based on John’s personal experiences and should not have been replicated,” the brand told The Hollywood Reporter.
The Jo Malone debacle was not the first time Boyega has been removed for promotional material in China. Back in 2015, a Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster for China left out the actor and co-star Oscar Isaac.
Read Boyega’s full thread below.
It’s back to back but I assure you this will be dealt with swiftly. I don’t have time for nonsense. We press on and strong. Stay blessed people ❤️
— John Boyega (@JohnBoyega) September 14, 2020
More from Deadline
- Jamie Foxx & 'Candyman's Teyonah Parris Join John Boyega In 'They Cloned Tyrone'
- John Boyega Says Disney Marginalized Diverse Characters In 'Star Wars' Sequels
- John Boyega, Darren Criss Star In Scripted Podcast 'There Be Monsters' From iHeartPodcast Network
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: Total Cases Hit 6 Million Milestone
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto