Jay Som, aka Melina Duterte, speaks with Kyle Meredith about her latest album, Anak Ko. Duterte discusses how the Joshua Tree desert played a large role in its completion and why she invited some of her friends into the recording sessions — a first for the singer-songwriter. From there, she divulges on her love for Steely Dan, Alanis Morissette, and Prefab Sprout, weighs in on the influence of having music-obsessed parents, and tips us off to her second life as a producer for artists like Chastity Belt and Pendent, which may take on a more starring role for her in the near future.
Want to see Jay Som on tour? Get your tickets now!
Kyle Meredith With… is an interview series in which WFPK’s Kyle Meredith speaks to a wide breadth of musicians. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, Meredith digs deep into the artist’s work to find out how the music is made and where their journey is going, from legendary artists like Robert Plant, Paul McCartney, U2 and Bryan Ferry, to the newer class of The National, St. Vincent, Arctic Monkeys, Haim, and Father John Misty.
- Confirmed: Rage Against the Machine will reunite in 2020
- Kanye West mocked for $55 Sunday Service brunch
- Kanye says God rewarded him with $68 million tax refund for becoming born-again Christian
- My Chemical Romance announce reunion
- New Prince memoir reveals he hated Katy Perry and Ed Sheeran's music