The new film traces the origins of Dr. Michael Morbius, who first appeared in the Spider-Man comics in 1971 (he started out as a Spider-Man foe, but was soon starring as the antihero of his own series). The trailer offers a condensed version of that tale, starting with Morbius’ difficult childhood and building to his adulthood, where he’s a successful doctor bent on finding a cure for the rare blood disease that’s plagued him his whole life. In that pursuit, however, Morbius stumbles across a “cure” that has some vampiric side-effects — increased strength and speed, the ability to use echolocation and “an overpowering urge to consume blood.”
More from Rolling Stone
- Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy Fight for Their Lives in 'New Mutants' Trailer
- Trailers of the Week: 'Black Widow,' 'Mulan,' New James Bond and More
- Watch Scarlett Johansson Return in 'Black Widow' Teaser Trailer
Morbius was directed by Daniel Espinosa and stars Adria Arjona, Matt Smith, Jared Harris, Tyrese Gibson and Michael Keaton.
Best of Rolling Stone
- Oscars 2020 Nominations: 12 Biggest Snubs
- The 50 Best Movies of the 2010s
- 'Fight Club' at 20: The Twisted Joys of David Fincher's Toxic-Masculinity Sucker Punch
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.