Janet, 52, was honored at the 2018 Radio Disney Music Awards on Friday, where he received the Impact Award (which was renamed the Janet Jackson Award). During her speech, she said, "It’s beautiful, it’s humbling to be recognized as someone that has had a positive impact, but if I have been fortunate enough to impact others it is only because I, myself, have been greatly impacted by positive people in my life," reports People.
She spoke about her parents including her 89-year-old father Joe."My mother nourished me with the most extravagant love imaginable, my father, my incredible father, drove me to be the best that I can. My siblings set an incredibly high standard for artistic excellence … Sometimes, having an impact can be as simple as a smile, a handshake, or a hug."
On Wednesday, son Jermaine Jackson spoke of Joe to the Daily Mail. He said, "He’s very, very frail, he doesn’t have long. The family needs to be by his bedside — that’s our only intention in his final days."
According to a TMZ report published Friday, Joe has been "battling the illness for some time," and his wife Katherine Jackson has been by his side at an undisclosed hospital. While TMZ said several of his children and grandchildren have gone to visit him, Daily Mail reports that "senior family members" have been blocked from visiting by Jackson's "handlers."
More from Complex
- Someone Is Using TrumpHotels.org to Bash Trump's Immigration Policies
- Premiere: Blakie And Newbaan Threaten To Spin Us Like Crash Bandicoot On Manic New Banger "Which Part?"
- World Cup 2018 Week in Review: What You Missed and What to Watch For
- Adidas' World Cup Ball Keeps Popping
- Featured Trailer of the Week: 'Uncle Drew' Will Take You on the Ultimate Summer Road Trip