McIver will play freelance journalist Sam, who moves into a beautiful country house with her sous-chef husband Ryan, only to discover the house is still inhabited by many of its dead former residents. “A great listener and good person, Sam strives to help the ghosts even as they drive her a little crazy with their constant clamoring for attention,” per the official description.
More from TVLine
- Silicon Valley's Thomas Middleditch to Star in CBS' Chuck Lorre Pilot B Positive
- Sophia Bush Nabs Titular Role in CBS Medical Drama Pilot Good Sam
- Hawaii Five-0's Katrina Law Teases Quinn's Secret and an Emotional Series Finale: 'A Lot of Tears Will Be Shed'
Based on the BBC series of the same name, Ghosts will be written by New Girl scribes Joe Port and Joe Wiseman. The Good Place alum Brandon Scott Jones will co-star as one of the ghosts, a well-meaning but pompous militiaman who died in the late 1700s of dysentery.
A native of New Zealand, McIver is best known for starring as undead medical examiner Liv on The CW’s iZombie, which wrapped up a five-season run last summer. Her other TV credits include Once Upon a Time (where she played Tinker Bell) and Masters of Sex.
To keep up with all of the 2020 pilots currently in contention at the broadcast networks, check out (and bookmark!) our handy Pilot Guide, which has been updated with McIver’s casting.
Best of TVLine
- Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles — on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends and Other Shows
- TV Stars Almost Cast in Other Roles
- The Big Bang Theory Pilot Revisited: 15 Memorable Moments (Including a Few In-Hindsight Continuity Errors)