GMA3 kicked off Thanksgiving early on Tuesday, inviting eight beloved ‘90s TV parents into its “living room” for a walk down memory lane.
Jo Marie Payton (Family Matters‘ Harriette Winslow), Reginald VelJohnson (Family Matters‘ Carl Winslow), Daphne Reid (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air‘s second Aunt Viv), Tim Reid (Sister, Sister‘s Ray Campbell), Patricia Richardson (Home Improvement‘s Jill Taylor), William Russ (Boy Meets World‘s Alan Matthews), Joanna Kerns (Growing Pains‘ Maggie Seaver) and Dan Lauria (The Wonder Years‘ Jack Arnold) joined hosts Michael Strahan, Sara Haines and Keke Palmer for a look back at the shows that made them household names.
More from TVLine
- GMA's Lara Spencer Apologizes On-Air for Mocking Prince George's Ballet Lessons: 'My Comment Was Stupid and Insensitive' (Watch Video)
- Lara Spencer Apologizes for Mocking Prince George's Ballet Lessons on GMA
- Which Classic TGIF Sitcoms Should Warner Streaming Service Revive?
Here were a few highlights:
* Quite a few audience members were surprised to learn that “the mom from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and the dad from Sister, Sister are married in real life,” but no one was more flabbergasted than Richardson, who could not contain her shock. A true bombshell. Not only did Daphne say that Tim is “too much” like his TV character, but she also recalled that they were set up by “a friend of mine… who I was dating.” Awkward.
* Palmer asked Lauria if he thought that Winnie and Kevin should have ended up together at the end of The Wonder Years, for which he had a thoughtful — if somewhat depressing — response: “If you listen to the last narration, they ended up as neighbors and their children played together. The Wonder Years was a pretty realistic show, and that’s usually how life goes, right?”
* Payton showed up with a bit of news to break: New episodes of Disney Channel’s The Proud Family — on which she voiced the legendary Suga Mama — will return with new episodes on Disney+ in 2020.
* And we may never get the sound of Strahan screaming, “Did I do that?!” at VelJohnson and Payton — nor would we want to.
Browse our gallery of photos from the epic TV reunion — you can click here for direct access — then drop a comment with your thoughts below: Who are your dream TV parents?
Launch Gallery: Iconic '90s TV Parents Reunited
Best of TVLine
- Friends Couches: A Definitive Ranking
- Vampire Diaries Turns 10: How Real-Life Plot Twists Shaped Everything From the Love Triangle to the Final Death
- Decade in Review: The Very Best Seasons, Including Game of Thrones S3, The Good Wife S5, Arrow S2 and More