The episode, titled “Mixed Blessings” and which aired in 1988, is the 23rd episode in the third season of the sitcom. In the episode, Michael, played by Scott Jacoby, plans to marry an older Black woman, Lorraine, played by Rosalind Cash. Dorothy, Michael’s mother, disapproves of their age difference with Lorraine’s family also opposing the interracial union. The two families join forces to stop the wedding.
More from Deadline
- Netflix & Hulu Pull Episode Of 'Community' Due To Blackface Scene
- Jane Levy Finds The Biggest Challenge Of Her Career With 'Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist', Becoming "A Musical Theater Person" In The Process
- Hulu To Serve Up Jamie Oliver's Lockdown Cookery Show 'Jamie: Keep Cooking & Carry On'
Lorraine’s family arrives as Rose, played by Betty White, and Blanche, played by Rue McClanahan, are applying mud face treatment. The two greet the family with their dark mud facial treatment retorting “This is mud on our faces, we’re not really Black.” A GIF of the scene that was posted on Reddit is posted below.
This event caps a week of announcements regarding the removal of episodes containing characters in blackface. On Monday NBCUniversal removed four episodes of 30 Rock containing feature characters in blackface stemming from a request by show creator Tina Fey and co-showrunner Robert Carlock. On Friday, The Office creator Greg Daniels had cut a blackface scene in a 2012 episode saying that he was “sorry for the pain that [he has] caused.” Also on Friday Netflix and Hulu pulled an episode from Community in which Ken Jeong’s character appears in blackface.
Here’s the Golden Girls GIF:
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: New U.S. Cases Near All-Time High; California, Florida and Texas See Record Spikes- Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto