Some unknowing intern or equally clueless social media editor might be in some hot water right now over a tweet from Hot 97 that mistook Texas legend Bun B for his late UGK partner Pimp C, who passed away back in 2007.
The original tweet, which has since been deleted, included video of Bun on stage at this weekend’s Hot 97 Summer Jam with the caption “Underground Kings! Pimp C just came out with #MeganRyte.” He was a special guest for Ryte's closing Summer Jam set, bringing out Slim Thug and Paul Wall to perform "Still Tippin'" with Bun.
it got deleted but idk how you can be that clueless to even make this mistake in the first place pic.twitter.com/88XMGmwnmf— Aurora NOREalis (@HaroldBingo) June 11, 2018
It’s a little shocking that anyone running the Hot 97 twitter account would not be able to recognize Bun B, who is revered by everyone from Drake to fellow Texas native Beyoncé for his role in molding Southern hip-hop as we know it, but that they also somehow missed the tragic passing of Pimp C more than a decade ago. The radio station quickly realized the mistake and promptly issued an apology. “We deeply apologize to family and friends of the late Pimp C as well as Bun B for the terrible error.”
Unfortunately for Hot 97, Bun noticed the tweet before it was swiped from the internet, posting a screenshot of it to his own Instagram account.
Back in February Bun B announced his new album Return of the Trill. It was originally slated to drop in March, but is now looking at an August release date.
More from Complex
- The Roots' Black Thought Recaps All 4 'Jurassic' Movies in One-Minute Rap
- Vic Mensa Teases 'Really Dope Records' With Chance the Rapper
- Future Brings 'Superfly' to 'Kimmel' With Laser-Filled "Nowhere" Performance
- Reddit User Proposes Ridiculous Yet Possibly Effective Way to Give Steph Curry Space on Shots
- Steve Kerr On Nick Young Celebrating Championship Win: He 'Got Lit for Him and Me'