Former contestant Erin Andrews, who has co-hosted since 2014, will also be replaced when the 29th season begins in fall 2020, the reality show confirmed Monday.
Bergeron, the original host who has worked on the show for 28 seasons, tweeted Monday that ABC would be "continuing without me" for the first time.
"It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career," Bergeron wrote. "I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?"
Bergeron was nominated for 11 Emmys during his "DWTS" run for host on a reality series on "DWTS," winning in 2012.
Ever the witty quipster, Bergeron added, "On the plus side, Now I'm free for our socially distanced lunch!"
Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?— Tom Bergeron (@Tom_Bergeron) July 13, 2020
Network ABC and production company BBC Studios said in a statement to USA TODAY that both Bergeron and Andrews would be replaced due to the "creative new direction."
“Tom Bergeron will forever be part of the 'Dancing with the Stars' family," the statement said. "He departs the show with our sincerest thanks and gratitude for his trademark wit and charm that helped make this show a success. Erin will also not be returning, and we appreciate all that she brought to the ballroom."
The network did not say when replacements would be named.
Andrews tweeted thanks to ABC and "Dancing With the Stars" on Tuesday.
"Those years wouldn't have been as special without my loving host Tom Bergeron, the talented dancers and witty judges," Andrews wrote. "I will always cherish my days on the set, even if I wasn't the best at walking in heels."
Lea Thompson, 2014 "Dancing With the Star" contestant and "Back To the Future" star, lamented Bergeron's loss on Twitter. "I love you. You are the best. There is no @DancingABC without you. They might as well (cancel) it," she wrote.
Lance Bass, who took third place in Season 7, tweeted one word at Bergeron: "Legend."
Last season's contestant Karamo Brown tweeted, "Tom, you are one of the kindest & most supportive people I’ve met in this industry! I enjoyed every interaction we ever had! You will always be 1 of my host hero's."
Bergeron had been outspoken last season over the show's casting of former Trump aide Sean Spicer. Bergeron tweeted at the time that he had been assured by "DWTS" brass they would not cast the polarizing political figure. However, he continued, "subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, 'go in a different direction.' "
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: 'Dancing With the Stars' hosts Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews won't return