Netflix announced the premiere date, Dec. 4, on its Latinx Twitter account Con Todo. Christian Serratos is set to star as Selena Quintanilla, Ricardo Chavira as Abraham Quintanilla, Gabriel Chavarria as Selena’s brother AB. Julio Macias, Jesse Posey, Hunter Reese Peña, and Carlos Alfredo, Jr. fill out the cast.
In the black and white clip, we see Selena performing at a show as a voiceover from her father says, “Do you trust your father? If you keep practicing, pretty soon, it's all gonna pay off. Just watch.” The video fast forwards to the future, and he says, “When I see you on that stage, I still see the six-year-old girl singing in our background.”
The coming-of-age tale focuses on Selena as she pursues her dreams and navigates fame, family, and music. The trailer also shows us a glimpse of Selena’s outfits and vocals from her song “Como La Flora.”
In 1995, Selena was sadly murdered at the age of 23 by her friend and the former president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldivar. Serratos’ role follows Jennifer Lopez’s famous portrayal of the singer in the 1997 film Selena.
Watch the trailer for Netflix’s Selena at the top.
- Selena's Family to Celebrate 25th Anniversary of Singer's Death With Huge Concert
- Netflix Orders Scripted Series About the Life of Selena Quintanilla
- Selena’s Husband Chris Perez Pays Tribute to Singer on 23rd Anniversary of Her Death
- The Complex SHOP: Designer Clothing and Brands
- Complex Podcast Network
- Sole Collector Mobile App - Your app for the Sneaker World
- Sneaker of the Year: The Best Since ’85 Book - Now available for pre-order!
Sign up for the Complex Newsletter for breaking news, events, and unique stories.