In honor of Tom Petty’s birthday on October 20th, Norah Jones’ alternative-country band Puss N Boots have released a cover of the late rocker’s “Angel Dream.” The song originally appeared in two forms on Petty and the Heartbreakers’ 1996 soundtrack for She’s the One.
Leaning slightly toward Petty’s “No. 4” version of “Angel Dream,” Puss N Boots offer up a rendition that’s built around ascending-and-descending acoustic guitar parts, backed by acoustic bass and brushed drums. Jones takes lead vocal duties, with bandmates Sasha Dobson and Catherine Popper chiming in for three-part harmonies near the song’s end. This recording follows Puss N Boots’ cover of Dolly Parton’s “The Grass Is Blue,” recorded for Amazon Originals and released in September.
More from Rolling Stone
- Norah Jones Searches for a Fresh Start on New Song 'Begin Again'
- Norah Jones, Mavis Staples Unite for Stirring New Song 'I'll Be Gone'
- Flashback: Tom Petty Plays a Swaggering 'Shadow of a Doubt' in 1980
Puss N Boots released their debut album No Fools, No Fun in 2014 and have continued playing shows since then while members have worked on other musical projects. On October 25th, the group will release the holiday EP Dear Santa and will play a special Christmas Extravaganza show December 20th at Brooklyn’s Music Hall of Williamsburg.
Best of Rolling Stone
- 35 Greatest Horror Soundtracks: Modern Masters, Gatekeepers Choose
- 20 Insanely Great Eminem Tracks Only Hardcore Fans Know
- The 15 Best Whistling Songs of All Time
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.