Harvey Weinstein has been charged in Los Angeles with raping one woman and sexually assaulting another in 2013.
The charges were announced Monday as Weinstein’s criminal trial got underway in New York on five other charges.
More from Variety
In the new case, Weinstein is accused of assaulting the two women within a two-day period. He is alleged to have raped one woman after forcing his way into her hotel room on Feb. 18, 2013. The next evening, he allegedly sexually assaulted a second woman at a hotel suite in Beverly Hills.
Prosecutors filed four charges: forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by force, and sexual battery by restraint. If convicted, Weinstein faces up to 28 years in prison.
“We believe the evidence will show that the defendant used his power and influence to gain access to his victims and then commit violent crimes against them,” said Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement. “I want to commend all the victims who have come forward and bravely recounted what happened to them. It is my hope that all victims of sexual violence find strength and healing as they move forward.”
Lacey is expected to speak further about the charges at a press conference Monday morning involving her office’s sex crimes task force. LAPD Chief Michel Moore is also expected to attend.
Weinstein has denied all charges of non-consensual sex.
The Los Angeles D.A.’s office has been reviewing eight cases involving Weinstein, some of which were submitted as long as two years ago. The LAPD has previously said that one investigation involved an Italian model who claimed that Weinstein raped her while she was staying at Mr. C Beverly Hills.
Weinstein is expected to appear to face the new charges once the New York trial concludes. He is currently free on a $2 million bond in connection with the New York case. Prosecutors in Los Angeles will ask that he post a $5 million bail in the new case.
Lacey created the Hollywood sex crimes task force in November 2017, after numerous women began to come forward to law enforcement in the wake of the #MeToo movement. The office has received cases from the LAPD, the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, and the Beverly Hills Police Department.
This is the first task force case has resulted in a prosecution.
Best of Variety