Harry Styles has turned down an offer to play Prince Eric in Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of The Little Mermaid.
Styles’ name had long been mentioned as a favorite to portray the Disney prince, and earlier today several outlets inaccurately reported that he had officially accepted the role.
However, citing sources with knowledge of the project, TheWrap reports that Styles has “respectfully declined” the offer.
Disney previously announced that R&B singer Halle Bailey would play the film’s titular heroine Ariel. Other reported cast members include Melissa McCarthy (Ursula), Jacob Tremblay (Flounder), and Awkwafina (Scuttle).
Rob Marshall (Chicago, Marry Poppins Returns) is directing the remake, with production scheduled to begin next year. John Musker, who wrote the music and score for the 1989 animated The Little Mermaid, is working on new music with Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Second person comes forward accusing Katy Perry of sexual harassment
- Full Woodstock recording to air on WXPN at exact time of original festival
- "Teenage Dream" video star accuses Katy Perry of sexual harassment
- Mr. Bungle reunite for first concerts in 20 years [Updated]
- Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy suffers heart attack
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth announce separation