More from TVLine
- Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: Grade the Premiere of NBC's Musical Dramedy
- Chicago P.D.: Brian Geraghty to Return as Sean Roman for Fire Crossover
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Finest Are Done Playing 'Noice' in Season 7 Key Art
The Office and Extras star kicked off the 77th annual awards ceremony with quips that included:
* “I came here in a limo tonight, and the license plate was made by Felicity Huffman.”
* “We were going to do an In Memoriam this year but when I saw the list of people who’d died, it wasn’t diverse enough.”
* On the long running time of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: “Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere, and by the end, his date was too old for him.”
* On the hypocritical nature of “woke” celebrities working for companies that do not-great-for-humanity things: “If ISIS started a streaming service, you’d call your agent.” He also noted that most of the audience was very removed from the real world and likely had spent less time in high school than teen climate activist Greta Thunberg.
Gervais previously hosted the Globes from 2010 to 2012, then again in 2016.
Watch Gervais’ full monologue above, then grade the Golden Globes’ opening via the poll below and hit the comments to back up your take!
Launch Gallery: Golden Globes 2020: Best and Worst Moments
Best of TVLine
- American Music Awards 2019: The Best, Worst and Weirdest Moments
- Emmys' Biggest Snubs: 30 Great Actors Who Have Never Won TV's Top Prize
- TV Shows Ending in 2019: Jane, Thrones and More — Which Will You Miss Most?