The Harry Potter author took to Twitter to speak out in support of Forstater, saying, “Dress however you please. Call yourself whatever you like. Sleep with any consenting adult who’ll have you. Live your best life in peace and security. But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real? #IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill”
More from Deadline
- GLAAD Names Anthony Ramos Head Of Talent
- Apple Sets LGBTQ Docuseries 'Visible: Out On Television', Wanda Sykes And Wilson Cruz Producing
- 'New Hollywood' Podcast: 'Pose' And 'AHS 1984' Actress Angelica Ross Came To Hollywood To Slay
Forstater lost her job as a visiting fellow at the Centre for Global Development after tweeting that people cannot change their genders.
GLAAD reached out to Rowling’s publicist to have an off-the-record conversation involving members of the trans community (Rowling declined).
GLAAD’s Head of Talent Anthony Ramos released a statement saying: “J.K. Rowling, whose books gave kids hope that they could work together to create a better world, has now aligned herself with an anti-science ideology that denies the basic humanity of people who are transgender. Trans men, trans women, and non-binary people are not a threat, and to imply otherwise puts trans people at risk. Now is the time for allies who know and support trans people to speak up and support their fundamental right to be treated equally and fairly.”
Now is the time for feminists who know and support trans people to speak up and support trans people's right to be treated equally and fairly.
— GLAAD (@glaad) December 19, 2019
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers