Clooney and his producing partner Grant Heslov would produce through their Smokehouse Pictures banner along with Ted Hope. William Monahan, who won an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for “The Departed,” has written the script for “The Tender Bar.”
More from Variety
- Amazon Sets Release Date for Stacey Abrams Voting Rights Documentary
- The Science of Costume Design: Consolata Boyle on Crafting Looks for Marie Curie Movie 'Radioactive'
- Rob Reiner, George Clooney, Dick Van Dyke and More Stars Pay Tribute to 'Comedy Legend' Carl Reiner
An adaptation of Moehringer’s book, published in 2005, had been set up previously at Sony Pictures. The story centers on the author, who as a young boy is seeking a replacement for his father, a New York City disc jockey who had vanished before his son spoke his first word. When he can’t find his father’s voice on the radio anymore, the boy turns in desperation to the bar on the corner, where he finds friendship from his Uncle Charlie and other adults, who take him to the beach, to ballgames, and ultimately into their circle.
Moehringer became a newspaper reporter and won the Pulitzer Prize in 2000.
Clooney’s feature directing credits include “Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,” “Good Night and Good Luck,” “Leatherheads,” “The Ides of March,” “The Monuments Men” and “Suburbicon.” He also directed the upcoming post-apocalyptic thriller “Midnight Sky” for Netflix and Anonymous Content, starring opposite Felicity Jones, and directed and executive produced several episodes of “Catch 22” for Hulu.
Clooney received an Oscar nomination for directing “Good Night and Good Luck.” He’s repped by CAA. The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.
Best of Variety
- The Best Movies on Netflix
- Everything Coming to Netflix in July
- What's Coming to Disney Plus in July 2020