Amazon, for the twin! The streamer has placed a straight-to-series order for a gender swapped TV adaptation of the 1988 big-screen thriller Dead Ringers, with Oscar winner Rachel Weisz succeeding Jeremy Irons in the dual role.
In what Amazon is calling a “modern take” on the David Cronenberg pic, the series finds Weisz playing the Mantle twins, who share everything: drugs, lovers, and an unapologetic desire to do whatever it takes, including pushing the boundaries on medical ethics in an effort to challenge antiquated practices and bring women’s healthcare to the forefront.
More from TVLine
- The Wheel of Time: Sophie Okonedo, Four Others Join Amazon Adaptation
- Amazon's Apocalyptic Utopia Set for September Debut -- Watch New Trailer
- Jensen Ackles Joins The Boys Season 3 as 'The Original Superhero'
Alice Birch (Hulu’s acclaimed Normal People) will write and serve as an EP alongside Weisz.
“As one of today’s most accomplished and versatile actresses, Rachel Weisz will captivate the Amazon Prime Video global audience with her take on these two ruthless, twisted characters,” said Albert Cheng, Amazon’s COO and Co-Head of Television, in a statement. “This update to Dead Ringers explores the darker side of medicine, obsession, and the human condition, making it a compelling addition to our slate of Amazon Original series.”
Dead Ringers marks Weisz’s most significant stateside TV project to date.
Best of TVLine
- Saved by the Bell Revival: Everything to Know About the Peacock Sequel Series
- Gilmore Girls: Netflix Exec Offers Update on Potential Second Revival
- Jason Katims' Rise, Anne Heche Military Drama Get Series Orders at NBC