Freeform President Tom Ascheim has warned that if broadcasters don’t know what demographic that they are serving, they are “doomed to fade away”. This comes as he laid out his channel’s four-part strategy to attract millennial viewers.
The former Sesame Workshop exec, speaking at the Winter TCA press tour, said that millennials and generation Z viewers were the “biggest” and “most influential” audiences in the world. “They are voracious but exceedingly discerning consumers of content. They demand clarity and excellence and their exacting standards have helped us forge a dsintictive strategy to create a brand that’s built to last. This era of peak TV, frankly peak everything, if you don’t know who you’re serving or what you stand for, you’re doomed to just fade away,” he said.
More from Deadline
- Freeform's 'Motherland: Fort Salem' Creator Says Series Pays Homage To Witch History - TCA
- Kim Kardashian West Talks Criminal Justice Reform With 'The Justice Project' At TCA, Downplays Future Influence Over Trump
- 'A Column Of Fire' Adaptation, Projects From Jackson Browne, Edward Burns, Blumhouse & Bad Wolf On Epix's Development Slate - TCA
Ascheim said the four-part for Disney-owned Freeform were taking a stand, pushing boundaries, epic stunts such as 31 Nights of Halloween, and streaming all of its content. On the latter, he said that two-thirds of Freeform streaming is done on Hulu. “It’s nice to have them in the family,” he said.
He added that Freeform was in “great shape” for the years ahead as part of Disney. “As the young adult brand for the ever more impressive Walt Disney Company, we have a clear lane and focused programming strategy.
Ascheim’s comment after a busy morning for the network; it renewed grown-ish for a fourth season and The Fosters’ spin-off Good Trouble for a third season, set a Valentine’s Day-themed block including original film The Thing About Harry and ordered Jessica Biel-produced thriller Last Summer to series.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers