On the NBC special on Wednesday, the trio of siblings tried their hands at various Olympic sports under the guidance of world class Olympic athletes like Sydney McLaughlin, Sanya Richards-Ross, Laurie Hernandez and BMX rider Alise Willoughby. But even with that kind of expertise, Nick Jonas managed to fall not once, but twice.
His first tumble came during a hurdles race in track and field, but the youngest Jonas brother managed to pop right back up and finish the race. With his second spill, which came during a BMX bike race on a dirt track, Nick lost control of his bike pretty early in the race and managed to take out both of his brothers, Joe and Kevin, in the wreck as well. And as the slow motion replay would later show, Nick hit his ribs and backside pretty hard on the track. He was clearly in pain and eventually got loaded onto a gurney and into an ambulance.
As we learned back in May when the special was shot, and while Nick was also working on The Voice, he ended up suffering a cracked rib.
“I always give 110%, and sometimes that gets you the gold,” Nick said in a makeshift press conference for the show. “In this case, it got me a fractured rib, bruised tailbone, and a hospital dinner. But I'm recovering. Thanks for asking, next question.”
- Over the first hurdle, Joe Jonas with the early lead. But here comes Kevin, almost floating over the hurdles. Matched now by Nick--
- --and look out! Nick eats it, but he's right back up.
KYLIE MAR: Nick Jonas was feeling it, and by it I mean pain on the NBC Special, "Olympic Dreams featuring the Jonas Brothers" trying their hands at various Olympic sports. And even though they were under the guidance of world class athletes, Nick managed to fall not once but twice, with a second spell coming during a BMX race.
- End of the turn, it's Nick Jonas muscling ahead on brute strength, taking the inside lane and--
- He's down.
- Oh no!
- He's down. Nick Jonas is down for the second time in three events.
NICK JONAS: [BEEP] up my back.
KYLIE MAR: That was the first time we've seen what Nick revealed to be a pretty serious injury back in May. And now we know why it was so bad.
- From another angle, you can see he slams his left side. His brothers do well just to narrowly avoid a total pile up.
- Back out on the track now, we can see an ambulance has arrived.
- Don't stress, we got you. We'll be right behind you, OK?
- While some viewers on Twitter were concerned for Nick, and one hilariously thought he was sabotaged by his brothers, most just enjoyed the entertainment with comments like "this competition is so funny and entertaining, but I feel so bad for Nick and all his troubles." And, "things Nick Jonas can't do-- whistle, jump hurdles, ride a bike." And even though things look pretty bad in the moment, this Joe bro is ready to go.
NICK JONAS: I think the tape kind of speaks for itself. I always give 110%, and sometimes that gets you the gold. In this case, it got me a fractured rib, a bruised tailbone, and a hospital dinner. But I'm recovering, thanks for asking. Next question?