It’s Focus Features, not A24, that ultimately will acquire global on Miranda July’s Kajillionaire, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Focus will handle domestic, while Universal will release it abroad. Written and directed by July, Kajillionaire follows con artists Theresa and Robert, who spent 26 years training their only daughter, Old Dolio (Evan Rachel Wood), to swindle, scam and steal at every opportunity. During a desperate, hastily conceived heist, they charm a kind stranger, Melanie (Gina Rodriguez), into joining their next scheme, completely shaking up Old Dolio’s routine. Her unlikely connection with Melanie begins to challenge Old Dolio’s odd and stoic reality — and she finds herself suddenly caught between the only family she has ever known and the prospect of total freedom. The film also stars two-time Oscar nominee Richard Jenkins and three-time nominee Debra Winger.
More from Deadline
- 'Kajillionaire's Evan Rachel Wood On Discovering Her Offbeat Character Through Rehearsals With Miranda July — Sundance Studio
- Searchlight Acquires Sundance Thriller 'The Night House'
- 'The Night House' Writing Duo Plot Horror 'The Sisters Of Samhain' With Fangoria, 'Final Destination' Producers & Bloody Disgusting
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers