“Tracy Oliver’s ‘First Wives Club’ has been hugely successful on BET Plus, served as one of our signature originals at launch and helped us quickly become the largest African American focused SVOD service,” said Devin Griffin, general manager of BET Plus. “Our subscribers loved season one and are eagerly awaiting season two.”
More from Variety
- Tracy Oliver Amazon Series Casts Meagan Good, Grace Byers, Jerrie Johnson and Shoniqua Shandai
- From 'Dead to Me' to 'Why Women Kill,' Angry Women Are Getting Their Due on TV
- Tyler Perry Sets Two New Original Series at BET Plus (EXCLUSIVE)
Production is set to begin on the second season in September in Atlanta. The first season followed best friends Ari (Ryan Michelle Bathe), Hazel (Jill Scott), and Bree (Michelle Buteau) as they reunited to help each other through rough patches in their lives. Tired of always being the ones to make sacrifices, they vowed to prioritize their friendship and have more fun. Along the way, the women learned that as long as they have each other, there’s nothing they can’t do.
RonReaco Lee and Mark Tallman will also return for the show’s second season.
“I’m overwhelmed by all the love and support the first season has received from our audience. I’m beyond excited to work with BET and this amazing, hilarious cast on a second season! Let the hijinks and shenanigans begin,” said series creator Tracy Oliver.
The series is written and executive produced by Oliver. Karen Rosenfelt and Scott Rudin also serve as executive producers. Paramount Television Studios produces. Based on the film and book of the same name, the show was originally set up at TV Land before moving to Paramount Network. It then moved to BET before landing at BET Plus.
Best of Variety
- Oscars 2020: The Complete Winners List
- Final Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win in the Major Categories?
- Oscars 2020: How to Stream and Watch Online