Sources close to the situation have confirmed the renewal to Deadline. BET declined comment.
More from Deadline
- BET To Air The 51st NAACP Image Awards
- 'American Soul': Elton John, James Brown, Dick Clark, Richard Pryor Among Those To Be Portrayed In Season 2 Of BET Series
- How To Watch The 2019 Soul Train Awards
Developed by Girls Trip co-writer Tracy Oliver, The First Wives Club helped launch BET’s new streaming service as one of two original scripted series available at the platform’s Sept. 19 rollout.
The show, like the movie that starred Diane Keaton, Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn, is set in New York City. It follows Ari (Bathe), Bree (Buteau) and Hazel (Scott), who band together after their marriages fall apart and find strength in their sisterhood — and of course a little revenge.
RonReaco Lee, Malik Yoba and Mark Tallman also star.
Oliver writes the series and executive produces with Karen Rosenfelt, Scott Rudin, a producer on the First Wives Club movie. and Tony Hernandez of JAX Media. Paramount TV produces.
The first season of First Wives Club was predominantly written and directed by female filmmakers including Jamie Babbit, Anu Valia, Ryan Case, Alison Brown, Leila Cohan-Miccio, Stella Meghie, Rachelle R. Williams, Yvette Foy and Sam Bailey.
The series originated at TV Land before migrating to Paramount Network, then moving to sibling BET and eventually launching on BET+.
Best of Deadline
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers