Silver Jews leader David Berman passed away less than a month after the release of his acclaimed comeback album as Purple Mountains. Now, Swedish folk outfit First Aid Kit are paying tribute to the late songwriter with a two-song bundle.
The first offering is an all-new original dubbed “Strange Beauty”. Its chorus directly honors Berman while showcasing the sister duo’s pristine harmonies: “And when you are gone / The world it moves on / But it’s lost its strange beauty.”
For the second track, First Aid Kit cover Silver Jews’ “Random Rules”. The song originally appeared on the band’s 1998 record, American Water.
In a statement, First Aid Kit’s Klara Söderberg reflected on Berman’s sudden death and the legacy he’s left behind,
“I think a lot of people were as shocked as I was upon hearing the news of David Berman’s passing. It didn’t seem real. It left me completely devastated. So I wrote the song ‘Strange Beauty’ to try to make sense of my feelings.” She continues, “‘Random Rules’ is a long time Berman favorite of ours and a song we always thought we would record if we ever made a cover album. It holds some of the greatest lyrics ever penned and shows the genius of David Berman. We hope the songs can be some kind of comfort.”
Stream the two-song release below.
- Breaking Bad movie gets title, teaser, and premiere date: Watch
- The Matrix 4: Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss to star in new film from Lana Wachowski
- Die Antwoord dropped from festivals after video surfaces of alleged homophobic fight: Watch
- Dropkick Murphys stage intimate performance outside sick kid's window: Watch
- Emma Stone is punk rock Cruella de Vil in first image from upcoming prequel