Henry, who is white, has voiced the African-American Brown since the show’s inception in 1999. He also voiced the character and his son, Rallo Tubbs, on the spinoff, The Cleveland Show, which ran for four years on Fox.
More from Deadline
- Josh Gad On Kristen Bell No Longer Voicing Mixed-Race 'Central Park' Character: 'Frankly An Easy Decision To Make'
- Comic-Con@Home: Disney TV Studios Sets Panel Slate With 'Bob's Burgers', 'Family Guy', 'Simpsons', More
- WGA West Reaches $5.25 Million Settlement With Disney For Interest On Late Residuals On Five Fox Animated Series
Henry was a voice on Family Guy since its 1999 debut. He also voiced Latina maid Consuela on the animated series.
“It’s been an honor to play Cleveland on Family Guy for 20 years. I love this character, but persons of color should play characters of color. Therefore, I will be stepping down from the role,” Henry wrote.
There have been no other reactions yet from the show producers or cast members.
It’s been an honor to play Cleveland on Family Guy for 20 years. I love this character, but persons of color should play characters of color. Therefore, I will be stepping down from the role. pic.twitter.com/FmKasWITKT
— Mike Henry (@mikehenrybro) June 26, 2020
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: New U.S. Cases Near All-Time High; California, Florida and Texas See Record Spikes- Update
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto