While there was no shortage of 4/20-related social media posts on April 20, Eminem apparently marked the occasion by celebrating a decade of sobriety. On April 21, the man born Marshall Mathers sent a message from his newly liberated Twitter feed featuring a picture of him holding his 10-year sobriety chip, noting that he celebrated the milestone the previous day.
Celebrated my 10 years yesterday. pic.twitter.com/Xmm9MOIEam
— Marshall Mathers (@Eminem) April 22, 2018
Em has been candid about his addiction over the years and spoke on the 2007 overdose that served as his rock bottom.
“I overdosed on pills, and I went into the hospital,” Eminem told Men’s Journal during a 2015 profile. “I was close to 230 pounds. I’m not sure how I got so big, but I have ideas. The coating on the Vicodin and the Valium I’d been taking for years leaves a hole in your stomach, so to avoid a stomachache, I was constantly eating—and eating badly.” Eminem also detailed the overdose on Revival's closing track "Arose."
Happy sobriety birthday to my mentor @Eminem ... Keep fighting the good fight homie ... I love you for life 🙏
— ROYCE (@Royceda59) April 21, 2018
Royce da 5’9", who partnered with Eminem in Bad Meets Evil and has been public with his own journey to sobriety, congratulated his fellow Detroit native.
- Eminem: "Back Issues" (2013 Cover Story)
- Eminem Is Totally Chill With Losing Half His Fan Base Over Trump Criticism
- Adele Was Supposed to Be on Eminem's "Walk on Water" Before Beyoncé
More from Complex
- Protestors Chase Milo Yiannopoulos Out of NYC Bar Chanting 'Nazi Scum Get Out'
- More Air Max 1s on the Way from Atmos
- Beyoncé Partners With Google for 4 More $25K HBCU Scholarships
- The 40 Best Disney Channel Original Movies
- SZA Roasts Fan for 'Hating on Bomb Ass Self-Made Working Pregnant Women' Like Cardi B