If you enjoyed The Favourite and want some fresh royal nonsense for your quarantine, Hulu’s got you covered. On Monday, the streaming platform released the first trailer for its new series The Great, starring Elle Fanning as long-reigning Russian ruler Catherine the Great.
Written and executive-produced by Tony McNamara — who also penned The Favourite — The Great follows Catherine’s rise to power alongside her explosive husband, Emperor Peter III, played by who else but The Favourite cast member Nicholas Hoult. The satirical first season begins with the young, idealistic Catherine arriving in Russia for an arranged marriage to Peter. Things quickly turn sour as she takes in the full scale of the emperor’s absurdity.
More from Rolling Stone
- One Text Changes Domhnall Gleeson and Merritt Wever's Lives in 'Run' Trailer
- These Streaming Services Are Letting You Try Them Out for Free to Stay Entertained While Stuck at Home
- 'The Roads Not Taken' Review: Javier Bardem Shuffles Down Memory Lane
“I’m the most loved ruler in Russian history!” Peter tells a gathering crowd at his court, in front of several hanging corpses. He adds quickly, “Don’t worry about the bodies!”
“I’m a prisoner here, married to an idiot,” Catherine says later. Upon learning that she’s next in line if the emperor dies, Catherine begins plotting her way out.
The Great also stars Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Sebastian de Souza, Bayo Gbadamosi, and Belinda Bromilow. It premieres May 15th on Hulu.
Best of Rolling Stone
- 40 Greatest Sketch-Comedy TV Shows of All Time
- Golden Globes 2020: 20 Best, Worst and Most WTF Moments
- Springfield of Dreams: 150 Best 'Simpsons' Episodes
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.