Co-written by Kingsbury and Spider-Man: Homecoming scribes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the as-yet-untitled project follows Simone’s Penelope, whose career takes off at exactly the same time as her husband’s. But when Penelope’s single mom, Georgia (Hurley), is called in to help raise Penelope’s son, it appears Georgia needs more raising than the child.
More from TVLine
- Pilot Season 2020: Scoop on This Fall's (Possible!) New Shows, Who's In Them
- Pretty Little Liars' Troian Bellisario Cast Opposite Patrick Dempsey in CBS Political Drama Pilot Ways & Means
- Charles Michael Davis Previews His NCIS: New Orleans Debut -- Plus, Is Younger's Zane Bitter About Liza?
Simone’s Penelope is a hard-working producer at a sports TV network, while Hurley’s Georgia is described as fun-loving and a bit immature. Though Georgia was a loving mom to Penelope, whom she had at just 17 years old, their roles have reversed now that Penelope is an adult.
The pilot’s executive producers include The Unicorn EPs Aaron Kaplan, Dana Honor and Wendi Trilling, as well as Pam Fryman (How I Met Your Mother), who will also direct.
Since ending her seven-season run as New Girl‘s Cece Parekh, Simone has appeared on episodes of Single Parents and Weird City. Hurley, meanwhile, most recently worked on Season 3 of Marvel’s Runaways following four seasons on E!’s The Royals.
To keep up with all of the 2020 pilots currently in contention at the broadcast networks, check out (and bookmark!) our handy Pilot Guide, which has been updated with Hurley and Simone’s castings.
Best of TVLine
- Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles — on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends and Other Shows
- TV Stars Almost Cast in Other Roles
- The Big Bang Theory Pilot Revisited: 15 Memorable Moments (Including a Few In-Hindsight Continuity Errors)