Sparks from an electrical outlet temporarily halted the premiere screening of “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw,” but no one was injured and no evacuation was required.
Attendees in the front rows at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood Saturday quickly left their seats because of the sparks, which a theater employee said were caused by soda spilling on an electrical outlet. The sparks delayed the screening for about 20 minutes before it resumed.
The sparks initially caused alarm because it appeared to some guests that someone had set off fireworks in the theater, which turned out not to be the case. The spill appeared to be unintentional.
Though no one was required to leave the theater, several did exit the auditorium to collect themselves, or just use the bathroom.
Some attendees took to Twitter to explain the unusual situation. Associated Press reporter Lindsey Bahr tweeted: “They stopped the movie 30 minutes in because there is an ‘electrical issue’ in the orchestra seats, where we saw two small sparks and heard pops.” She added that one of the film’s star’s, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, stepped to the front of the theater to assure everyone that the surprise had not been intentional.
Los Angeles Times reporter Jen Yamato tweeted that the film’s director, David Leitch, explained that “someone spilled liquid onto an electrical outlet.”
“I saw those sparks and I will say that was a not very fun way to amp up the adrenaline,” she added.
“Hobbs & Shaw” stars Johnson and Jason Statham as fast and furious rivals who team up to defeat Idris Elba’s villain, a man who gains superhuman powers. The film will be released on Aug. 2.
Dwayne Johnson is up on stage assuring everyone “this was not one of the surprises” pic.twitter.com/o9FW0DpcTQ
— Lindsey Bahr (@ldbahr) July 14, 2019
Leitch on the mic describing it as someone spilled liquid onto an electrical outlet. People ushered back to seats. I saw those sparks and I will say that was a not very fun way to amp up the adrenaline@TheRock is on the mic now working the crowd so I guess…everything is ok?
— jen yamato (@jenyamato) July 14, 2019
Read original story Electrical Sparks Fly at ‘Hobbs and Shaw’ Premiere; No One Harmed At TheWrap