The New Line Cinema film film will debut on Dec. 22, 2021, five days after the release of James Cameron’s long-gestating “Avatar” sequel.
More from Variety
- 'Jumanji: The Next Level' Gets China Release Date
- Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia's Seven Bucks Productions Team With 101 Studios on 'Unstoppable'
- Dwayne Johnson to Produce and Star in Film About UFC Champ Mark Kerr
Johnson has been attached to play the anti-hero for most of this decade. Jaume Collet-Serra, who worked with Johnson on “Jungle Cruise,” will direct.
“Black Adam” is a spinoff from Warner Bros. and New Line’s “Shazam!” starring Zachary Levy, which grossed $365 million worldwide earlier this year.
The Black Adam character first appeared in DC Comics during the 1940s as a villain who had been corrupted by power, then became an anti-hero in the early 2000s with a disregard for rules and conventions.
“He’s a rebellious, one of a kind superhero, who’ll always do what’s right for the people,” Johnson wrote on Instagram, “but he does it his way. Truth and justice – the BLACK ADAM way.”
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- Every Oscar Best Picture Winner