The blue-green algae bloom is a huge threat to our four legged friends.
Keeping Our Furry Friends Safe
A microscopic menace has been lurking beneath the surface of standing water, making the usual summer activity of taking your beloved pups to the lake quite dangerous. A bloom of blue-green algae has made lakes and ponds across America toxic, leading to the deaths of multiple dogs.
A Microscopic Threat
Dogs have died in Wilmington, North Carolina; Austin, Texas; and Marietta, Georgia after being exposed to the toxic algae. It has also been sighted in New Jersey lakes as well.
Cities have been taking precautions to ensure that locals are aware of the threat and are keeping their dogs safe.
Until Further Notice
The Pet Poison Helpline has been providing helpful information for dog owners:
"Cyanobacteria (also known as blue-green algae) are microscopic bacteria found in freshwater lakes, streams, ponds and brackish water ecosystems. They can produce toxins (such as microcystins and anatoxins) that affect people, livestock and pets that swim in and drink from the algae-contaminated water."
"While most blue-green algae blooms do not produce toxins, it is not possible to determine the presence of toxins without testing. Thus, all blooms should be considered potentially toxic. Very small exposures, such a few mouthfuls of algae-contaminated water, may result in fatal poisoning."