Electronic producer duo Disclosure dropped “Expressing What Matters” Wednesday, a groovy house number that samples one of blue-eyed soul’s most notable singles.
“This track samples the legendary song ‘Lowdown’ by Boz Scaggs,” Disclosure said in a statement. “We really wanted to try to focus in on those wonderful backing vocals that permeate through the original and give it such soul. They ended up becoming the focal point of the entire track. Bring chopped and skewed to their limit. The whole thing was one big audio science experiment for us.”
More from Rolling Stone
- Disclosure Perform New Song 'Tondo' at Laser-Lit Club in Visualizer
- Disclosure Return With Soulful New Song 'Ecstasy'
- Khalid, Disclosure Reunite for Dance Floor Pep Talk 'Know Your Worth'
The group has shared two other songs in recent days: “Ecstasy” and “Tondo,” the latter premiering at a laser-lit club. The duo also reunited with Khalid earlier this month for the love song “Know Your Worth,” and with Sam Smith for a cover of Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love.” They contributed production to Mac Miller’s posthumous album Circles.
Best of Rolling Stone
- New Doc on INXS' Michael Hutchence: 12 Things We Learned
- Elvis Presley: His 10 Best Country Songs
- Hank Williams' Five Most Haunting Performances
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.