Gina Rodriguez is going from TV’s most beloved virgin to the leader of the free world. Frankly, we always knew she had it in her.
Disney+ on Monday released the official trailer for Diary of a Future President, which tells the story of a 12-year-old Cuban-American girl named Elena (played by newcomer Tess Romero) who grows up to become the President of the United States of America. In addition to executive-producing the series and directing the first episode, Rodriguez also guest-stars as grown-up Elena. The show was created by Ilana Peña (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Reign).
More from TVLine
- The Mandalorian Boss Jon Favreau Confirms: 'Baby Yoda' Is Not [Spoiler]
- WandaVision Marvel Series Gets Earlier 2020 Premiere in New Disney+ Promo
- The Mandalorian: Jon Favreau Teases Fall 2020 Premiere for Season 2
Elena’s inspirational backstory unfolds as her grown-up self thumbs through her middle-school diary. And as Rodriguez points out in the trailer, Elena “really had a lot to say” back then.
Premiering on Friday, Jan. 17, Diary of a Future President also stars newcomer Charlie Bushnell as Bobby, Elena’s “sweet and mischievous” older brother; Selenis Levya (Orange Is the New Black) as Gabi, their “sharp and loving” mother; and Michael Weaver (The Real O’Neals) as Sam, Gabi’s love interest and a fellow lawyer at her firm.
Hit PLAY on the trailer above for your first look at Diary of a Future President, then drop a comment with your thoughts below: Will you follow Elena on her journey to the Oval Office?
Launch Gallery: Disney+'s Upcoming Shows
Best of TVLine
- Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 4)
- Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 3)
- Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 2)