The latest they’ve been held in two decades was on March 10, 2001. The 2020 awards were held on Jan. 25; last year on Feb. 1, and in 2018 on Feb. 2.
More from Deadline
- Directors Guild Joins Academy And Others To Change Eligibility Criteria For 2021 Theatrical Feature Awards; Streamers And VOD Allowed
- Sam Mendes And '1917' Stake Claim As Oscar Frontrunner With DGA Victory
- DGA Awards: Sam Mendes Wins Best Director For '1917'; HBO Scores Four Wins To Top TV Side - The Complete Winners List
The guild didn’t explain the later-than-usual date in making the announcement today, but many live events have been pushed back because of the coronavirus.
The announcement puts the DGAs a couple weeks before the Academy Awards, which are set for April 25. Earlier this week, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association set the 78th Golden Globe Awards for February 28, 2021.
The 2021 SAG Awards will take place on March 14, a month and a half later than expected due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The 27th annual awards show had been set for Jan. 24, 2021.
Further information about the DGA Awards, including submission requirements and venue, will be announced at a later date.
-David Robb contributed to this report
Best of Deadline
- U.S. Coronavirus Update: New Cases Break Record 70,000 For The First Time; Infections Up 40% Since Early July
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto