Sydney-based Proyas, also well known for movies Dark City, Garage Days and Knowing, started out as a music video director working with artists including Crowded House, Fleetwood Mac, Sting, James Reyne and INXS.
More from Deadline
- Gersh Agency Signs Deal With The WGA; New Franchise Agreement Extends Sunset Date - Update
- Gersh Signs 'Mindhunter' Actress Lauren Glazier
- Troy Garity Signs With Gersh
The Australian filmmaker is currently working on two projects: The New Country, a “sci-fi rock opera” with producer Brad Fischer; and The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, a sci-fi film noir with producer Mike Medavoy.
The New Country is a time travel story set in a desert in “a very rare 1982”. The Medavoy project is a long-gestating movie once set up with Red Granite. It’s based on the 1942 novella by iconic science fiction author Robert Heinlein. The novella was a favorite of Proyas’s from a young age and served as the inspiration for his Dark City.
Proyas, who has been developing his own sound-proofed studio in Sydney, is also represented by Craig Emanuel at Paul Hastings.
Best of Deadline
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More
- Stan Lee's Legacy: Ranking The Hollywood Heroes Co-Created By The Marvel Comics Icon
- Disney-Fox Deal: How It Ranks Among Biggest All-Time Media Mergers