A superstar coder is gifted a new kind of digital immortality in the trailer for Upload, a new sci-fi comedy set to premiere May 1st on Amazon Prime Video.
Upload stars Robbie Amell as Nathan, a coder whose existence is transferred to a luxurious digital afterlife world called Lakeview after he’s nearly killed in a car crash. After arriving in Lakeview, Nathan is guided through his surreal new VR world by a customer service rep named Nora (Andy Allo) and the two grow increasingly attached despite the uncanny valley between them.
More from Rolling Stone
- Cut the Cord: Which Streaming Service Should You Be Watching in 2020?
- 'Hunters' Review: Nazi Revenge Fantasy Goes Big on Grindhouse Style
- 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Season 3: Midge Hits the Road, the Show Hits Some Roadblocks
As much as the trailer teases a budding will-they-won’t-they between Nathan and Nora, it also highlights the way Upload serves as a satire of the tech world and social media (the show was created by Greg Daniels, who helmed the U.S. version of The Office). At one point, Nathan is denied a digital cup of coffee, which is technically an “in-app purchase,” while the trailer ends with a little boy bragging about he racked up the likes by dabbing as he fell to his death at the Grand Canyon.
Best of Rolling Stone
- 40 Greatest Sketch-Comedy TV Shows of All Time
- Golden Globes 2020: 20 Best, Worst and Most WTF Moments
- Springfield of Dreams: 150 Best 'Simpsons' Episodes
See where your favorite artists and songs rank on the Rolling Stone Charts.