Cinemax will no longer produce original content, nor will its existing shows like “Jett” and “Warrior” be part of HBO Max when it launches, WarnerMedia executives said Wednesday.
“I think you can expect there will not be any more Cinemax originals being produced going forward,” HBO Max boss Kevin Reilly said during the Television Critics Association press tour. Michael Quigley, executive vice president of content acquisitions for the streaming service, said that Cinemax original content will not be the on service either, though the channel is not going away the same way Audience Network will.
“We’re not planning to bring the Cinemax content into the service overall,” he said. “I think it still serves an important value for its customers in terms of its movie offerings.”
That leaves the fate of shows like “Jett” and “Warrior” up in the air. “Strike Back” will debut its eighth and final season on Feb. 14.
HBO Max will hit the market in May, though a specific launch date is not known. The offering will cost $14.99, the same price as an HBO-only subscription. The price makes HBO Max among the most expensive services, when compared to Netflix, Hulu and fellow new entrants like Apple TV+ and Disney+.
Last week, AT&T announced that its Audience Network will also no longer be a home for original programming. Instead, AT&T is turning the premium network into a promo channel for HBO Max.
Read original story Cinemax Abandons Original Programming, Channel Will Not Be Part of HBO Max At TheWrap