Charlie Cox talks to yahoo Entertainment about Daredevil's guest appearance in She-Hulk: Attorney at Law on Disney+.
- Now, I'm going to whoop your ass.
- My ass remains un-whooped.
- Yeah, let's fix that.
- So I know you can't say much about the Daredevil series. I bet--
CHARLIE COX: I don't know anything.
- Oh, right. So I'm going to ask you something else, because there's so much hype around your She-Hulk appearance. I'm seeing a lot of discourse around the hardcore Daredevil fans going like, what is Murdock going to do in this comedy? As if he has no sense of humor.
CHARLIE COX: Right, right, right.
- Which I would love to hear your opinion on, because we know that's not true. What has been your reaction to She-Hulk so far and the tone they've taken with it?
CHARLIE COX: Well, when I read the She-Hulk scripts, one thing that I felt like-- I knew I was doing one or two episodes in the She-Hulk show. And I read the scripts, and tonally, it's completely different from anything we've ever done. But it's-- I feel like I've played this character long enough to have the opportunity to experiment for one episode. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
But not knowing what the tone of our show was going to be, but knowing that we're on Disney Plus, and therefore, could be different. I thought it'd be a really good opportunity to find a tone that is consistent with some of the runs of the comic, where Matt Murdock, Daredevil, is a little bit more lighthearted, he's a little bit more tongue in cheek and playful and silly. And of course, if you don't do that, if you come into a show like She-Hulk and you don't do that, then you become the butt of the jokes. You're too serious. You're not-- so you've got to kind of adapt to the world a little bit and the tone a little bit.
And I haven't seen the whole episode yet. But from what I'm told, my feeling is that it can exist in that place. And it is still fun. And it's still truthful, it's still the same character. But in the same way that any human being some days are very serious and down on their luck and a bit heavy-hearted, and other times, they're being silly and playful and having a lot of fun. And there's a lot of joy in their life. That's true with a human, so why can't it be true for a superhero?